by Adult Services Library Associate Nichole
Did you know that tomorrow, September 15th kicks of National Hispanic Heritage Month?
“The observation started in 1968 as Hispanic Heritage Week under President Lyndon Johnson and was expanded by President Ronald Reagan in 1988 to cover a 30-day period starting on September 15 and ending on October 15.
The day of September 15 is significant because it is the anniversary of independence for Latin American countries Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua. In addition, Mexico and Chile celebrate their independence days on September 16 and September 18, respectively. Also, Columbus Day or Día de la Raza, which is October 12, falls within this 30 day period.”https://www.hispanicheritagemonth.gov/about/
To celebrate, check out these titles written by Latinx authors!
- Sanctuary by Paola Mendoza and Abby Sher | print
- It Is Wood, It Is Stone by Gabriella Burnham | print
- Little Eyes by Samanta Schweblin |print / digital
- Everything Inside by Edwidge Danticat |print / digital
- Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia | print / digital
- A Long Petal of the Sea by Isabel Allende | print / digital
- Children of the Land by Marcelo Hernandez Castillo |print / digital
- In the Country We Love by Diane Guerrero | print / digital
- A Cup of Water Under My Bed by Daisy Hernandez | print / digital
- Music to My Years by Cristela Alonzo | print
- In the Dream House by Carmen Maria Machado | print / digital
- Ordinary Girls by Jaquira Díaz | print / digital