by Public Service Associate Beth
According to Google, searches on the site including vegan related terms increased worldwide in 2020 by nearly 50%! And trending terms such Meatless Mondays, vegan-curious and Veganuary suggest that more and more people are interested in and choosing to reduce or eliminate animals from their diet. But many of us may still wonder, why would anyone choose to make this transition? What do vegans even eat anyway – salads for every meal? And what about those of us with families, children and ultra-busy lives – is it even practical?
If you find yourself asking any of these questions, register for and attend Eating Plants: The Philosophy and Practice of Veganism, an upcoming program at Bexley Public Library on this very topic! The event will be presented by Dr. Andrew Mills, a philosopher at Otterbein University, and Jessica Garrett Mills, PhD, a vegan activist, mentor, and vegan cooking instructor. In their presentation, they will discuss both the why and how of veganism. And as parents raising young children on a plant-based diet, they together have lots of experience and practical advice in navigating these decisions. Whether you’re a lifelong vegan, a vegetarian going back and forth on whether to attempt such a shift, want to know how to reduce the amount of meat and animal by-products in your diet, or are simply curious about why others may care about this issue, you’re sure to learn something new. The virtual event will take place on Wednesday, July 14 at 5 pm, on Zoom. Join us for this informative and topical discussion!
And, of course, be sure to check out BPL’s collection on plant-based eating. You’ll find cookbooks – and more – with loads of information to get you started or keep you on track. (Salads can be satisfying, after all, but who wants to eat only those for the rest of their lives?)
- Heavenly Vegan Dals & Curries: Exciting New Dishes from an Indian Girl’s Kitchen Abroad by Rakhee Yadav | print
- Vegan Fake-out: Plant-based Take-out Classics for the Ultimate Night In by Katy Beskow | print
- 5-ingredient Vegan by Nava Atlas | print
- Vegetable Kingdom: The Abundant World of Vegan Recipes by Bryant Terry | print / digital
- How to Grill Vegetables: The New Bible for Barbecuing Vegetables Over Live Fire by Steven Raichlen | print / digital
- Beyond Chopped Liver: 59 Jewish recipes Get a Vegan Health Makeover by Kenden Alfond | print / digital